There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Testing - Leftover Chicken Curry

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/sep/23/21-recipe-ideas-for-leftover-roast-chicken

I'm now looking for recipes that use up leftover cooked chicken. This seems a likely candidate!

1- The first attempt was very good. I did not have yoghurt, so I just used whipping cream. I think the broth and tomato liquid can be reduced significantly while cooking I think - I used frozen fresh tomatoes, so that may have been a factor.

2 Tbsps vegetable oil
1 onion, finely chopped
Salt
3 garlic cloves, finely grated
1" knob fresh ginger, finely grated
2 tsps ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp garam masala curry powder
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground chilli powder (or to taste)
2-3 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped (optional: plus extra to serve)
1 1/4 cups 300ml chicken stock
Half a leftover roast chicken (12-18 oz?), roughly chopped
Ground black pepper
2 Tbsps whipping cream or plain yoghurt
fresh coriander cilantro, chopped, to serve

  1. Heat about two tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large heavy-based saucepan. Gently fry the chopped onion together with a pinch of salt for about 15 minutes until softened. 
  2. Add the garlic and ginger. Continue to gently fry for another two to three minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. Add the spices and ensure that they are well mixed with the onion. Continue to gently fry for another three minutes, stirring occasionally. 
  4. Add the chopped tomatoes. Stir well and cook for another minute or so. Add the chicken stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes so the flavours infuse or until the sauce starts to thicken
  5. Add the roasted chicken and warm through. Dollop in about 2 tablespoons of plain yoghurt. Gently warm through so that it doesn’t curdle.
  6. Serve with steamed rice and sprinkle over a little fresh coriander and chopped fresh tomato.
  7. Serve with Savoury Rice and other Indian dishes.

Tip: Don’t have all the spices? Just use two teaspoons each of garam masala, ground coriander and ground cumin. This is also a good dish for using up a few odds and ends of vegetables. If they are raw, add them in with the chopped tomatoes, and if they are already cooked, add to the pot at the same time as the chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment