There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Testing - Lovage, lettuce, pea and cucumber soup

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/jun/24/lovage-recipes-hugh-fearnley-whittingstall

1-This was visually gorgeous but just fine in terms of flavour. I suspect the cucumber should not simmer...

20g 1 - 2 Tbsps butter
1 onion, finely diced
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
A few young lovage stalks, chopped
700ml 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 little gem lettuces, finely shredded
100g 1/2 cup peas
½ cucumber, cut into 5mm dice
1 small handful lovage leaves, shredded
A few tablespoons of crème fraîche or thick yoghurt or a swirl of cream, to finish

  1. Warm the butter in a large saucepan over a medium-low heat. 
  2. Add the onion, thyme and a pinch of salt, and sauté until the onion is soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. 
  3. Add the lovage stalks and sauté for a couple of minutes. Pour in the stock and peas and simmer for 10 minutes. 
  4. Add the rest of the veg lettuce (keep back some lovage leaves to garnish) and simmer for five minutes. Remove from heat and add the cucumber and serve immediately.
  5. Season and serve with dollops of crème fraîche and a scattering of fresh lovage leaves.


No comments:

Post a Comment