There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, July 29, 2016

Chard au gratin - PUBLISHED

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/11/alice-waters-swiss-chard-gratin-recipe.html
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/swiss-chard-gratin
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cheesy-chard-gratin

1-Seriously good and decadent; two of my favorite words. I'm keeping this at the Testing stage because this review is several weeks after the fact, and I can't remember if there were any notes for changes.
2 - The joys of making do! I had no bread baked to go with this next attempt at making it, so I boiled up some potatoes and, at the last minute, spooned the gratin over them to serve, which worked wonderfully!
3 - The potatoes are quite good, but it's just as good with some crusty bread.
4 - This time I quantified the amount of chard by weight and there was a lot! It felt like there wasn't enough goo. Because there wasn't enough goo, there was a recommendation that there be more tang. I realized later that less goo = less mustard, which would add tang. 

2 bunches chard leaves, chopped (about 8 cups packed or 2lbs)
1 cup water
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp butter
1 1/2 cups milk
2 Tbsps flour
Tbsp + 2 tsps wholegrain mustard 
1 1/2 cups grated Gruyère
Sea salt and black pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 2-3 Tbsps bread crumbs
SERVE WITH
8 potatoes
or
Crusty bread
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. 
  2. Bring a  saucepan of salted water to boil. 
  3. Thinly slice the reserved chard stems, add them to the water, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the leaves and continue cooking until tender, about 3-4 minutes longer. 
  4. Drain and allow to cool, then gently squeeze out the excess liquid and coarsely chop.
  5. Put a pot of water to boil to and put in the potatoes. Boil 15-25 minutes, depending on size of potato. If they finish cooking before the gratin is cooked, keep piping hot.
  6. While the water is heating up, heat oil and butter over medium heat. When butter has melted, whisk in the flour until blended and whisk until the flour cooks, or starts to brown. 
  7. Slowly whisk in the milk. Continue cooking and stirring until the sauce thickens, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the mustard and the Gruyère. 
  8. Stir in the cooked chard and transfer to a buttered gratin dish. 
  9. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and breadcrumbs. 
  10. Bake for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbling. 
  11. Put under the broiler to get the top brown and crispy.
  12. Put the hot potatoes onto a plate and spoon the gratin over them.
  13. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment