There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Testing - Homemade Sherries

https://jamesbonfieldrecipes.wordpress.com/2010/11/27/plum-liqueur-plum-gin/
https://www.growforagecookferment.com/conifer-infused-vodka/
https://gathervictoria.com/2015/12/01/perfect-yuletide-drink-emily-hans-douglas-fir-liqueur/

I think this is the recipe I based last Christmas' plum sherry on, but I did a shoddy job of recording it. Here it is again, possibly... maybe...hopefully with what were likely the same alterations I effected last year! (Although, I must admit I likely used more sugar last year, and I know I used gin, not vodka.) We have such a wealth of plums on the property! Last year I used large Italian plums, while this year I'm starting with Victory plums.

1 - It would appear that Gin is preferable over Vodka. The liquor from the plums soaked in vodka have a taste of prune which, while not bad, is not the excellent sherry I made last winter when I used gin.
2 - 2017: I'm trying different things - blackberries with bay laurel; crabapple; little wild plums; golden plums; Douglas fir needles. We had a strange spring and barely any Damson and Italian Prune plums formed, along with very few apples and pears.
3 - Different ingredients appear to require different steeping periods. NOTE: If infusing needles/leaves in 750ml, is 75g of sugar enough?

800g 400g Plums  stone fruit, or a hefty handful of leaves/needles/flowers or
200g 75g white sugar
70cl 275-300 ml 1 cup Spirit enough to cover or for leaves/needles/flowers, a 750ml bottle of spirit (reasonable quality vodka or gin, 37.5% ABV min)

(Try this:2 large handfuls conifer tips or needles, roughly chopped
1⁄2 cup (60 g) dried hawthorn berries or 1 cup (100 g) fresh
2 whole allspice berries
1 bottle (750 ml, or 31⁄4 cups) vodka
1/2 cup sugar
Leave to steep for 2 weeks, decant and let sit for one week before drinking)

Place the plums on a board and stab with a fork
  1. For stone fruit, pierce each plum fruit with a fork in two places. For soft fruit, small fruit and leaves/needles, a good handful for every 3 cups of spirit.
  2. In a sterilized Kilner Jar, jar that will just fit all the plums, add the plums and sugar. (Nigel Slater says only half-fill with plums (fruit) and then fill with gin)
  3. Pour over the spirit. Seal the jar and shake well.
  4. Over the next 2-3 days, shake periodically until the sugar has dissolved, then store the jar in a dark cupboard. For stone fruit, leave to steep for 3 months;for soft fruit, 2-3 weeks; for leaves/needles/flowers for 1 week to 2 months.
  5. Strain the mixture through a muslin and check the sweetness – bottle up and add extra sugar if required. DON’T DISCARD THE PLUMSFRUIT! You can use them for baking/jam/jelly-making etc.
  6. Store for another month or more before drinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment