There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Testing - Spicy Lacto-fermented Fresh Beans

4 cups water
1.5 oz salt
2 garlic cloves per jar, lightly crushed
1-2 flowering dill heads per jar
1-4 tsp hot pepper flakes (or 1 fresh hot pepper per jar) per jar
1/4 tsp black pepper corns per jar
? How many beans fill a jar?
? How many jars did you make?

  1. Heat the water just until the salt dissolves. Cool to room temperature.
  2. Trim the stem ends from the beans. 
  3. Place a clean glass quart jar on its side (it is not necessary to sterilize the jar for this recipe; just make sure it is very clean). It's easier to get the green beans to line up straight if you start out with the jar on its side rather than loading the beans in from above.
  4. Cover with the brine. Weigh the beans down and place the jars in a relatively dark place at room temperature. The jars should be covered, but not tightly sealed, so that gases produced during fermentation can escape. If using a crock without a lid, cover it with a plate or board and drape with a clean dish towel. If using jars, screw lids on loosely or remove the rubber seal, depending on the style of jar you're using. 
  5. Bubbles will appear in 4 or 5 days. Skim any floating scum off the surface daily. (It's supposed to be there; don't let it worry you.) Taste occasionally. The beans should be fully pickled in about 2 weeks. Once they are ready, just refrigerate the beans in the brine. They will continue to ferment in the fridge, but at a much slower rate. Eat within a couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment