There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Testing - Spicy Pickled Green Beans for Cesars

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/recipe/spicy-dilled-beans
http://www.popsugar.com/food/Spicy-Pickled-Green-Beans-26204484

For four 500mL jars.

2 lb beans
4 hot red peppers OR 8 tsps dry hot pepper flakes
4 flowering dill  heads
4 cloves garlic
4 tsps mustard seeds
3 tsps black peppercorns
1 tsp whole allspice berries
2 tsps whole coriander
4 bay leaves
2 1/2 cups water
2 1/2 cups white vinegar
2 Tbsps pickling salt

  1. If the beans are too long to comfortably fit in the jars, cut green and yellow beans from the stem end to 3-1/2-inch (9 cm) lengths, fit in the jar. Cut slit lengthwise in hot peppers. Set aside.
  2. Into each of four 2-cup (500 mL) canning jars, pack 1 head dill, 1 clove garlic, 1 tsp (5 mL) mustard seeds, 1 hot red pepper, 3/4 tsp peppercorn, 1/4 tsp allspice berry, 1/2 tsp coriander. Tightly pack in beans, cut side up. 
  3. In saucepan, bring water, vinegar and salt to boil; reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Pour into each jar, leaving 1/2-inch (1 cm) headspace. 
  4. Cover with prepared lids. Screw on bands until resistance is met; increase to fingertip tight. Boil in boiling water canner for 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment