There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, August 29, 2016

Testing - Potatoes au gratin

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/149261/gruyere-potato-gratin/

1 - I decided to mix together the wine and cream since I've done this in cream sauces before and they've worked... have I just jinxed myself?!? The original had you mix water and wine together and cook until potatoes are tender, then add cream and cook 15 min. until thickened.
2 - Mixing the cream and wine was no problemo. But there wasn't enough sauce or cheese!
3 - Floury vs. waxy potatoes is very important! I used super fresh potatoes and it took longer to cook, and none of the liquid got soaked up by the potatoes. The flavour was excellent, but we got none of the creaminess.
4 - The sauce is to die for!!! But it does take a very long time for the onion and the potato to cook enough, so try not to skimp on time. I simplified the steps by removing the 'tossing onions and potatoes with salt and pepper and thyme' thing and it worked very well, but there seemed to be less sauce.

TIMING: 2hrs

The poor sauce may have been because of a typo. Try this:
2 Tbsps. softened butter
1 1/2 lb. floury, old potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
2 1 large onion (10oz/285gr), chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp minced fresh thyme OR a pinch of nutmeg
(1 cup) 2 oz shredded Gruyere cheese
3/4 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup cup white wine
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. 
  2. Grease a baking dish with the butter. Spread 1/3 of the onion (approx. 85g) into the bottom. 
  3. Layer with 1/3 of the potato (approx. 245g).
  4. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the minced thyme and a healthy pinch of salt and a good grind of pepper.
  5. Sprinkle half of the Gruyere cheese over the potatoes, then add another layer of the mixture, repeating steps 2 to 4. 
  6. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese followed by the remaining potatoes and onion, repeating steps 2 to 4. 
  7. Mix together the wine and cream and pour over the potatoes.
  8. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven until the potatoes are tender, about 1 hour 15 minutes. 
  9. Once tender, bake uncovered for an additional 15 minutes to brown the top and thicken the cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment