There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, September 9, 2016

Loire Valley Pear and Chocolate Tart - PUBLISHED

1 - Tried leaving the pears whole, but the baked custard is not so attractive to my eye. I think the whole pear works fine, it's just the expanse of custard. NEXT - how else could I cut the pear to have it look nice and avoid the thin slicing hell with super ripe pears?
2 - I think this one graduates to La Mouffette. I've made it multiple times, all to good reviews. I've resolved the slicing of the pears and I'm happy with the result.

Part 1 - the pie crust

1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
1 egg yolk
1 Tbsp. + cold water
  1. Follow the instructions for the Cookie Pie Crust, but substitute the vanilla for 1 egg yolk and be careful about the amount of water you add to avoid having a wet dough. 
  2. Put the crust to chill for at least 15 minutes.
Part 2 - the filling

4 oz 70% dark chocolate, chopped fine
3-4 pears cut in half, peeled and cored
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1/2 heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla
  1. Preheat oven to 400F.
  2. After chilling the crust, sprinkle in the chopped chocolate, and arrange the pear halves, cut-side down, to fill the crust as completely as possible, most easily accomplished if arranged in an attractive flower pattern.
  3. In a small bowl whisk together the egg, yolk, cream and vanilla to make a simple custard.
  4. Pour the custard over the pears so that the have all been touched by the custard - this will help them brown nicely. This is most easily accomplished if you use a spoon to ladle the custard over the pear halves.
  5. Bake for 10 minutes, then turn down the heat to 350F and cook an additional 25-30 minutes.
  6. If the pears have not caramelized, put under the broiler until they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment