There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Test 3 - Indian-inspired Omelette

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/omelet-turmeric-tomato-onions

1 - This was good, but I wonder if I can combine the refinement of Laura's omelette with the lovely flavours of this one.
2 - I've made it a few times with onion and the flavors are still very good.
3 - March 22, 2018: Tonight it didn't work out, because I didn't read the recipe. It's because I doubled the recipe, so I cooked the onion and tomato, set aside, then added the spices, along with the salt, instead of beating the eggs and salt together as is instructed in the recipe. No change in the testing status.
4 - April 5 2019: made it with spring chives and tomatoes I'd frozen (keeps the fresh taste you lose when it's been canned). Delicious!

5 large eggs
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon oil
1/4 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
1/8 teaspoon turmeric
2 green onions, or 14 chive stems, finely chopped
1/4 cup fresh tomato
Dash of black pepper
  1. Whisk together eggs and salt.
  2. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet. Add mustard seeds and turmeric; cook until the mustard seeds start to pop. 
  3. Add onions; cook until soft, then add tomato and cook until very soft, stirring frequently.
  4. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and tilt it to evenly spread the liquid egg. Cook until the edges begin to set. Then, gently lift the edges, first on one side then the other, tilting the pan to allow some of the uncooked egg to seep underneath and cook. 
  5. Once the top is set but still glistening, loosen the omelette and fold it over before sliding it onto a platter. Sprinkle with black pepper.


No comments:

Post a Comment