There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Test 1 - Tomato, Cucumber and Red Onion Salad

http://www.food.com/recipe/tomato-cucumber-and-red-onion-salad-180329

This is best eaten fresh - although you want the cucumber to absorb the marinade, if you finish it to far in advance, the other vegetables will absorb too much vinegar and be overly tart.

2 large cucumbers, halved lengthwise, seeded and sliced
1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 large tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
2⁄3 cup coarsely chopped red onion
1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper

  1. In a large bowl, toss together the cucumbers, vinegar, sugar and salt. 
  2. Chop the onion and soak it in water to remove some of its bite.
  3. Let both stand at room temperature for an hour, stirring occasionally.
  4. Drain the onions and a to the cucumbers, along with the tomatoes, basil and oil. Toss to blend. 
  5. Season to taste with salt and pepper.


No comments:

Post a Comment