There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, October 21, 2016

Testing - Roasted Beets with Vinaigrette

I have to find a better name for this!

1 - The vinaigrette is very subtle, just meant to lighten the earthiness of the beets. I have not tried making this with the basil leaves, which I will indicate as optional. This way the recipe remains seasonal for a longer period. I'm keeping this in the Testing stage because I'm uncertain about the vinaigrette's value in the dish - is it too subtle?

4 large beets, cut in wedges (you can pre-boil the beets about 20 minutes or until fork-tender)
1 tsp grapeseed oil
Salt and Pepper
3 Tbsps grapeseed oil
2 Tbsps apple cider vinegar
1 tsp brown sugar
1/4 cup goat cheese
Optional: 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, roughly torn, or arugula

  1. Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
  2. In a bowl, toss the beets with 1 tsp oil, to cover.
  3. Arrange the beets in a single layer on a baking sheet and sprinkle over a good pinch of salt, then a generous grinding of black pepper.
  4. Roast the beets in the middle of the oven for 20-40 minutes (longer if the beets are raw, shorter if the beets are already boiled).
  5. Remove from the oven and allow to cool a bit, or completely, your choice.
  6. In the same boil you oiled the beets in (to reduce on dishes), whisk together sugar, vinegar and the remaining oil.
  7. Dump the beets into the vinaigrette and toss to cover. Remove the beets from the vinaigrette with a slotted spoon to a serving dish (for serving à la Francaise) or on individual plates (for serving à la Russe). NOTE: if using basil or arugula, remove the beets to another bowl (too bad for the dishes!) and toss with the leaves before transferring to a serving dish or plate.
  8. Crumble the goat cheese and sprinkle on top and serve.
  9. The remaining vinaigrette can be saved for future use.

No comments:

Post a Comment