There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, October 31, 2016

Testing - Sweet Chestnut Paste

http://www.chefeddy.com/2009/12/chestnut-paste/
https://food52.com/blog/16144-a-not-nutella-french-spread-for-oatmeal-toasts-yogurt-etc-etc-etc

1 - Success! However, I've rewritten the instructions to make them clearer for myself - for example, I did not remove the inner membrane. I also forgot to add any vanilla (I was just going to use extract). Otherwise, I'm quite pleased with my first attempt!

6 cups/(2 lb 8 oz) chestnuts
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup/(8 oz) Water
1 Tbp vanilla extract

  1. NOTE: It is best to boil the chestnuts in smaller batches as they will peel much better when being removed fresh out of hot water.
  2. Using a knife, cut a X into the flat side of the chestnuts (this hard, don't cut yourself!). 
  3. Bring a pot of water to a roiling boil. 
  4. Drop in about 15 chestnuts at-a-time and boil for 7-8 minutes; remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl of cool water.
  5. Drop in the next 15 chestnuts in the water. Start peeling the soaking nuts of their hard outer shell. 
  6. (The following is what I mostly did when I realized that the inner husk could also be removed. It may not need to be this complicated) Keep the chestnuts in a covered container as you peel them. 
  7. Once you've peeled the hard husk from all the chestnuts, place the covered container of nuts in the refrigerator. When the chestnuts are completely cool, it should be easier to remove the thin brown membrane wrapped around the soft pale flesh inside.
  8. Once peeled of both the outer husk and the inner membrane, place the peeled chestnuts in fresh water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until “al dente”; if left too long, they will start to disintegrate in the hot water.
  9. Remove them to a colander and allow them to drain completely.
  10. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar with 1 cup of water; stir until it comes to a boil. Clip on a candy thermometre and do not touch or stir anymore. From this point on you are essentially bringing the sugar to a candy-making point by realigning the crystals. Any additional water added during this process has no effect on the final outcome.
  11. Grind the chestnuts in a food processor.
  12. Continue to boil the sugar syrup WITHOUT stirring until you reach 240°F (116°C). Remove from heat and mix in the chestnut mixture. Stir for 5 minutes on medium heat.  Add the vanilla and combine well.
  13. Store in a well-sealed container in the refrigerator or freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment