There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, October 31, 2016

Mexican Beans - PUBLISHED


1 - Used borlotti beans and, cooked for this much time, mushed up quite nicely. The skin is a bit tougher than Tiger Eye beans.
2 - tried Cassoulet beans, but the texture was not quite right. Note that I did not cook the beans with bay leaf or broth.
3 - Used Tiger Eye beans again and delicious again.

1 pound dried beans (pinto-like, such as Tiger Eye) beans, soaked overnight in a large bowl with water to cover by 2-inches, and drained*
1 bay leaf
4 cups of broth
1/2 cup bacon fat (or lard or butter or olive oil or any combination of these)
1 large onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp chilli powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
Mild white cheese to serve
  1. Bring to a boil the beans, bay leaf, and enough broth to cover by about one inch (about 4 cups). Lower the heat and simmer the beans for about an hour. Uncover and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the beans are very tender, about (1/2 to 1 hour more?), adding more broth or water as necessary to keep the beans always covered. When the beans are soft, remove pot from heat (beans should be cooked when you take one out and blow on it and the skin splits).
  2. In a large, heavy skillet, melt the bacon fat (or whatever combination of fat you choose to use - if going vegetarian, add a few dashes of soy sauce for depth of flavour) and gently fry the onions until soft (with this much fat, it is more of a poaching of the onion). Add the garlic, spices, and salt, and, stirring constantly, cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
  3. Remove the bay leaf from the beans. Pour the onion-garlic mixture into the beans and stir to combine. Cook on low, stirring occasionally, until the flavors combine and the mixture thickens, about 5 to 10 minutes. If needed, add a tablespoon of water at a time to keep the beans from getting dry. 
*A soaking shortcut is to cover the beans with water, bring to boil, boil for 2 minutes, turn off the burner, cover, and let them soak for 2 hours. Drain, rinse, and then start recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment