There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

White Bean Soup - Testing

http://www.theclevercarrot.com/2014/10/tuscan-white-bean-soup-2-ways/

1 - A good, hearty soup. I'd like to try doubling the greens. 

1-2 slices of bacon (90g), chopped (add olive oil more oil of any type if you want more fat)
1 lb. white beans such as cannellini or great northern beans, dried
1 bay leaf
1 onion (6oz/170g), diced rough chop
1 celery stalk, diced rough chop
2 cloves of garlic, minced
4 sage leaves, chopped
2 Tbsps white wine
3-4 8oz leafy green (chard or kale or mustard etc), stemmed and cut into thin strips
4 cups (+ up to another 4 cups for thinning) chicken stock
2 Tbsps fresh parsley
3/4 tsp salt 
1/4 tsp pepper
Garnish
garlic croutons
shaved parmesan cheese
crusty sourdough bread
  1. If using dry beans, the night before, bring the beans to a boil, take them off the heat source and let soak the beans in a bowl large enough for them to expand into, and fill the bowl to the brim. Soak overnight.
  2. Next day, In a soup pot, cook the bacon until the fat renders and the bacon is lightly browned in a soup pot.
  3. Add the onion, celery, garlic, and sage leaves. Saute until the onion is soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add the white wine and cook until it completely evaporates.
  4. Drain the beans and add to the pot, along with the bay leaf.
  5. Cover with 4 cups of chicken stock and bring to a boil before reduce the heat to a simmer, cooking until the beans are tender, about 1- 1½ hours. Season with salt and pepper.
  6. At this point you can pulverise half of the soup in a blender before reintroducing it to the soup pot, or use an immersion blender OR:  or leave au-naturel (so-to-speak) and chunky. Add the parsley.
  7. In either case, adjust Adjust the amount of liquid with hot chicken broth, to your desired consistency, seasoning as you add.
  8. Garnish with parmesan cheese and croutons.
  9. For the chunky version, adjust with salt and pepper to taste, and more stock if needed.
  10. Serve warm with crusty sourdough bread.


Tilt the pot, and remove most of the residual oil with a spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment