There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Test 3 - Borlotti Pottage

http://www.bonappetit.com/columns/cooking-without-recipes/slideshow/shelling-beans

This is pretty much made-up, using the fabulous guide provided by Bon Appetit. I'm sure I'll have to adjust the quantities.
3 - I'm rethinking this recipe - I've decided to no longer grow the borlotti bean - they are very firm and dry and I haven't really been enjoying them (if any borlotti bean lovers out there want to share your fave recipes with me, I'll gladly give them a go). I'll replace them with another bean.
I am increasing the ratio by 1/3 and trying canned tomatoes.

1½ cup (280gr) dry Cranberry/Borlotti beans
3 Tbsps olive oil
3 to 4 cloves garlic, crushed (not chopped)
1 bay leaf
3 sprigs oregano, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
1lb 8oz (3 cups) tomatoes, diced
3 cups chicken broth (to start)
OPTIONAL: 4 to 6 oz julienned greens
Fruit vinegar (either, red wine, white wine, plum, apple cider, raspberry, etc)
Parmesan
  1. Soak beans overnight but do not cook!
  2. Next day, sauté garlic in the oil, add oregano and bay leaf, stir in for about a minute more.
  3. Add the beans, season with salt and pepper.
  4. Add tomatoes and chicken stock. Bring to a boil. 
  5. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 1 to 2 hours, replenishing the stock if necessary. Stir occasionally.
  6. When beans are cooked, leave uncovered and cook at a rapid simmer until most of the broth has evaporated. It is at the beginning of this rapid boil that you can add the optional greens.
  7. Add the fruit vinegar, serve on plates and sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan, fresh ground pepper and chopped fresh oregano. Accompanies well with crusty bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment