There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, November 17, 2016

Sausage and bean stew - PUBLISHED

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/vegetableandbeancass_82705

1 - This worked out quite nicely. The night I made it, I was distracted and forgot to add the salt. The next day, we had it for lunch, and I realized my mistake. I also sprinkled some fresh Parmesan. It made all the difference.
2 - Made it with Cassoulet beans... the clear winners! They are very thin skinned, and cook up soft, and absorb flavour and fats like crazy. In this dish they naturally thicken the broth in to a sauce. Lovely!
3 - I do believe that spicy Italian sausage is better. It'd be easy to substitute with sweet Italian sausage and extra chilli flakes.
4 - Definitely no canned tomato, only fresh. Canned tomato makes it taste like a failed pasta sauce.

1⁄4 cup olive oil
3-4 Spicy Italian pork sausages
2 Tbsps chopped fresh rosemary
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1 bay leaf
Optional (if you like it super spicy) 1⁄2 tsp dried chilli flakes
1 small Turban squash, cubed (about 8 oz)
4 cups cooked Cassoulet beans
1 tsp salt
3⁄4 cup boiling water or chicken broth
1 large tomato, cubed
  1. Start by roasting the squash. Heat the oven to 400F.
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  3. Toss the squash with some oil and salt. Pop in the oven and bake for about 40 minutes, or until browned, occasionally shaking things up to avoid burning the bottoms.
  4. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat the 1⁄4 cup olive oil until it starts to shimmer. Shallow fry the sausages, rosemary, garlic and the chilli for one minute.
  5. Add the squash and fry for a further three minutes or until the sausage has browned.
  6. Remove the sausage and cut into thirds or quarters.
  7. Add the beans and bay leaf and season with salt.
  8. Add the liquid and tomato, cover with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes.
  9. Increase the heat for a rapid simmer and uncover to cook another 10 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.
  10. Serve with fresh buttered crusty bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment