There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, November 5, 2016

Test 2 - Baked Beans

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/maple-baked-beans-350993
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/maple-baked-beans-10104
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/slow_cooked_boston_baked_beans/
http://www.averiecooks.com/2013/05/bourbon-maple-slow-cooker-baked-beans.html

1 - Although I did not have bourbon on hand, I made it anyway, and it was very good. It cooked quite nicely within 6 hours, but I think it would have been better for another couple of hours. NOTE: I think cooking longer will encourage the beans to start to thicken the sauce. If not, ADD to the instructions that 1/4 of the beans should be mashed before adding to the layering as I fill the cooking pot.
* I messed up my second attempt. I will not count it here. However, I did use the Mama's Cannelini beans we grew, and compared to the Norwegian Brown, their skin was a bit tough; both Ben and I had the same opinion, but it was still good.
2 - Added apple cider vinegar. My mom makes delicious baked beans but uses store-bought ketchup, which I'd like to avoid. Given that I have plenty of sweet, I've decided on the cider vinegar to add the tartness that the ketchup brings. I hope 1/4 cup isn't too much.
3 - A little too much dijon at 4 Tbsps, re-reducing it to 2-3 Tbsps. Reducing maple syrup to 1/4 cup.

1 lb dry beans (6 cups reconstituted) (Norwegian Brown, Neabel's)
2 Tbsps 1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsps salt
1/4 tsp black pepper powder
2 3-4 Tbsps spicy brown Dijon mustard
2 Tbsps 1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup Bourbon brandy
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 (1/2 lb) thick strips bacon
Pinch clove powder
3 cups boiling water (to start, + more during baking)
1 package salt porc, diced
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced

  1. Soak beans overnight. Next day, simmer for 45 minutes.
  2. For a 6:00 pm dinner, start beans at least by 10:00 am.
  3. Preheat the oven to a mere 300F.
  4. Mix together the sugar, salt, pepper, mustard, molasses, bourbon, syrup and clove powder. When you've got a good slurry going, add the hot water and dilute everything.
  5. Layer half the porc on the bottom of a oven-ready cooking pot (I've got a lovely hand-made stoneware pot I use). Over this put half the beans, then all the onion and garlic, then the second half of the beans, and topped with the second half of the salt porc.
  6. Cook in the oven for 6-8 hours. Every few hours, check the liquid - I usually add 1 cup of boiling water at least twice during the baking. No need to stir.
  7. Serve with good, hearty buttered bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment