There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, November 17, 2016

Ribollita - Test 1

http://latavolamarche.blogspot.ca/2011/05/summer-soup-ribollita.html

1 - It worked well. I made changes on the fly, but it all seems to work. Something I quite like is to cook down the tomato until it discorporates into the broth.
2 - I increased the amount of beans by a half cup. I tried using ground chia seeds instead of bread for a gluten-free version but, at least, I didn't add enough because there was no real change in the consistency of the broth.

1 cup of dry beans of your choice, soaked over night, drained or fresh
1 bay leaf
2 cups vegetable stock
2 Tbsps olive oil
2 carrots, diced
1 stalk of celery, diced or a small pinch of celery seed
1 onion, diced
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 tomatoes, chopped
couple cloves of garlic
a good pinch of chilli flakes
5-7 cups of chicken stock
OPTIONAL: 1/2 cup of peas (if available); small bunch of asparagus (if available)
1 bunch greens of your choice, washed well & chopped into manageable pieces (kale, chard, etc)
2 handfuls of the inside (guts) of stale bread, broken into pieces, crust removed (NOTE tried to substitute with 6 tsps of ground chia seeds with no real noticeable impact)
good extra virgin olive oil
Parmesan, shaved
  1. In a pot, add beans, bay leaf, and vegetable stock.
  2. Bring to a boil, lower to simmer for 30-40 minutes until tender (time varies depending on your beans).  Strain beans, saving the cooking water for later.  
  3. Next in a soup pot, heat the olive oil and add carrots, celery, onion. Slowly sautéed for 10-15 minutes.
  4. Season with salt & pepper.
  5. Add the tomatoes, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook until the tomato sauces or falls apart.  Add stock with some of the bean water. Bring up to a simmer. Add greens to your pot, wilting into the soup. Cook for 5-10 minutes, depending the toughness of your greens.
  6. Once greens are soft, add in your beans & bread, one handful at a time.
  7. Season with salt & pepper. Bread should dissolve, creating a velvety texture. Not a thick bread soup. Allow to cook for another 5-10 minutes. Taste check & adjust your seasonings.
  8. TO SERVE: Serve with a healthy drizzle of the best extra virgin olive oil you have and a ribbon of parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment