There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Zuppa di pasta e fagioli - PUBLISHED

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/cranberry-bean-pasta-fagioli-recipe.html

0 - I have made this once and it made a lot, and it was good, but I know I have notes, I just can't find them! It is very hearty, closer to a stew than a soup.
1 - Used dry Mexican Red beans and canned tomato, and it was good! I will make some changes to recommend, if not using the soup right away, to make without the pasta and then cook the pasta in the amount of the soup you'll be eating to avoid having soggy pasta. But the pasta is essential, since the starch in it thickens the soup. Also, it is a seasonal soup, since the dry beans and canned tomato make it a winter soup, while fresh beans and fresh tomatoes would make it a good summer soup.
2 - Made with Pinto beans and fresh tomato. The beans were too dense I find, but fine. The fresh tomato was lovely. I'm letting my little rosemary plants grow so I used an equal amount of the dried, and it wasn't enough, to my taste. Everything else was good. Oh, I used a small fresh cayenne pepper and it could be spicier.
3 - The amount of bacon isn't right. It could actually be a much meatier stew. So maybe more bacon or smoked hock or another kind of meat? Ben also suggested just a beef broth. The interesting thing was that the more we ate it the more we enjoyed it.
4 - Adding the beef broth was a good idea, but I think the real difference is actually cooking the pasta in with the soup. The starch from the pasta greatly improves the texture.
5 - On with the testing! Substituted the kale for chard and it worked.

For 7 people (for 2 cups serving as main dish per person)

1 + 2 Tbsps. olive oil, plus more for drizzling
2 to 3 slices bacon (24 to 36gr), cut into lardons NOTE I used 42 gr because less doesn't look right
5 cloves garlic, smashed
1 small onion, roughly chopped
¼ tsp red pepper flakes, or more to taste
1 sprig finely chopped fresh rosemary
5 fresh plum tomatoes (10oz/285mg) or ½ can  
1 lb beans: dried, soaked or 3 pounds fresh, shelled, preferably cranberry/borlotti beans
6 cups water 
6 cups beef broth
2 bay leaves
1 piece parmesan cheese rind
½ cup (1oz/128g) grated parmesan, and more for topping
1 tsp salt, to taste
8 oz small pasta such as shells or ditalini (SEE COOKING INSTRUCTIONS)
1 bunch (8oz) kale, stems and ribs sliced thin, leaves chopped (can subst. with other greens)
¼ cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
Lots of freshly ground pepper
  1. Heat the oil in a large pot (this makes lots of soup) and render the bacon until it's crispy.
  2. Add the garlic, onion, red pepper flakes and rosemary. Cook until the onions soften.
  3. Stir in the tomatoes and cook until they start to release their juices. 
  4. Add the beans, water, broth, bay leaves and parmesan rind and kale stems. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the beans are tender, 1 hour 30 minutes to 2 hours.
  5. Return the soup to a boil. Add the kale leaves and the pasta and cook until the pasta is al dente.  
  6. The soup should be thick and creamy; if too thick, thin with water until you get the consistency you want.
  7. Remove the bay leaves and parmesan rind; add the salt, the grated parmesan, parsley and remaining 2 Tbsps. olive oil. Adjust seasoning to taste. Top with more olive oil and parmesan and a few grinds of black pepper.


No comments:

Post a Comment