There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Hunter's pork roast - Test 3

http://vindepissenlit.blogspot.ca/2009/07/tcheque-parmi-les-tcheques-roti-de-porc.html
https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-southern-cabbage-with-bacon-240518
https://www.thespruce.com/roasted-boneless-pork-loin-recipe-995289

1 - The boneless loin roast I used for this first attempt has quite a thick rind of fat, which I left on. Put it in for 40 minutes, then added 20 minutes. That seemed to be enough.
2 - Used a leg roast, bone in, to great effect - very little fat. I didn't have a mortar and pestle so used a rolling pin, a cutting board and a bit of parchment paper, which sufficed. The cabbage was the most challenging - I cut it in slices instead of wedges, which wasn't a bit deal, but there was too much to fit in a reasonably wide high-lipped pan - I ended up working in two batches for the initial browning and then putting everything in together. I'll try it next time in wedges to see if I can get 2lbs of cabbage in at once.
3 - I used a pork loin (pork chops tied together to form a roast), bone-in. It worked really quite nicely! I'm graduating it to Test 1. I just need to do it again! 
4 - This seems to be working just fine. One more time, with feeling!
5 - Everything is great, the flavour is really good, except for the cooking time. I strung together another batch of pork chops, and when I checked at the end of the 1 1/4 hrs, it was at 180F! I'm adding a bit about starting to check the internal temperature earlier.

For 4 people.

1 - THE ROAST (2 hrs)
1 onion, minced
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup chicken broth
2 garlic cloves, pressed
11 juniper berries, crushed
9 allspice berries, crushed
1 tsp ground cumin 
1 tsp salt 
1/2 tsp pepper
3lb pork roast (loin, leg, shoulder, bone in or boneless - will affect cooking time, 25 min. x lb)
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup white wine
  1. Preheat the oven to 400F.
  2. In a roasting pan, pile the minced onion in the middle with the bay leaf on top. Pour in the broth.
  3. In a small bowl combine the garlic, juniper berries, allspice and cumin and mix together, using the moist garlic to create a kind of dry paste. Rub all of it over the roast, then place it on top of the little mound of onion.
  4. Plop the knob of butter on top of the roast, cover and put in the oven. 
  5. Reduce the temperature to 350F after 20 minutes.
  6. Continue roasting. Whether or not meat is boned is very important to factor in to avoid overcooking. For boneless, it's about 1 1/4 hours but start checking at 1 hour. For bone-in, it should be about, 1 hour but start checking at 45 minutes. The internal temperature should get up to 150F. (should be about 25 mins per lb)
  7. Once cooked, remove the roast and tent it to keep it warm - let it settle for about 10 minutes before carving.
  8. Meanwhile, put the roasting pan on a burner and pour in the wine to deglaze the pan. Let the liquid reduce a bit, then pour over the roast as a sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment