There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, May 21, 2018

Cream of Aspargus Soup - Test 1

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/cream-of-asparagus-soup-without-cream-292876

1: May 21 2018 - Hit it out of the ballpark on the first go. We heard of this soup from Diane at Whalewych Farm so I just looked it up and bam! There is was. I only had about 12 oz of asparagus so I cut the amount of ingredients to match, and it turned out quite nice. I was surprised at how creamy it was, sans cream. The next test will include a swirl of cream as an optional garnish, just to see. Also, how would it be with fresh herbs?

2 lbs asparagus (optional - save tips)
1 large onion, chopped
4 tablespoons olive oil
5 -6 cups chicken broth
Salt and pepper
Heavy Cream
Fresh herbs? tarragon, parsley, basil
  1. (Optional) Cut the tips off of 12 asparagus (1 1/2") and set aside.
  2. Trim the tough ends of the asparagus and cut into 1" pieces.
  3. In the soup pot, cook onion and asparagus in the oil, stirring often, till softened.
  4. Add broth and simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
  5. (Optional) While the soup simmers, cook reserved asparagus tips in boiling salted water until just tender (3-4 minutes) and drain.
  6. Puree the soup until smooth; adjust the seasoning.
  7. Ladle into bowls with a grind of fresh black pepper on top.
  8. (Optional) Garnish with asparagus tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment