There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, May 19, 2018

Wine braised pork chops - Test 1

http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/pork-chops-with-wine-and-garlic/21171/

1 - Good first test, but the recipe needed some changes (in my opinion). I included the oven instructions and some finer points on how to have tender pork chops. The original recipe doesn't seem to include information on how to make sure the chops are cooked enough (but not too much), and the timing seemed way off, so I added quite a bit in that respect.
1a - I accidentally made this with lamb chops and it turned out really well. I mean, wine, right? The only difference, really, is the cooking time - much less time for the lamb chops, just a few minutes in the braising, and I did it all on the stove top. Still love the popcorn!

2 Tbsp olive oil
2 + 1 Tbsps butter
1 kernel of popcorn (optional)
Salt and black pepper
4 bone-in T-bone pork chops, 1" thick (about 2 lbs)
16 12 cloves garlic, peeled
1 ½ cups red wine
1+1 bay leaf
½ cup beef broth, plus more if needed
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
  1. (optional but a good idea) 30 minutes or several hours before, brine the pork chops in a water bath including a little less than 1 Tbsp of salt per cup of water, and a few bay leaves. 
  2. Preheat oven to 350F.
  3. In a heavy skillet fit for oven use, heat the oil and 2 tablespoons of the butter over high heat. To check that it's hot enough, throw in a popcorn kernel - when it pops, the oil will be at 325-50F and ready for a good, quick sear. 
  4. Salt and pepper both sides of the pork chops. To sear the chops, avoid crowding! Giving them room means they'll brown before they overcook. When one side is beautifully golden (about 3-4 minutes, flip and brown the other side. (No need to completely cook the chops at this point.) 
  5. Remove the chops from the skillet and set aside to make the braising sauce.
  6. Reduce the heat and throw in the whole cloves of garlic in the hot oil and juices. Swirl them around and cook until they get nice and golden brown. 
  7. Deglaze with the red wine, then add the bay leaf. 
  8. Adjust the heat to create a rapid simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is reduced and thick, and it leaves a clear line when you draw a wooden spoon along the bottom of the pan.
  9. Stir in the beef broth (you can add more if it needs the liquid) and put the pork chops back in, arranging them firmly in the sauce. 
  10. Add the balsamic and tilt the pan back-and-forth to help it distribute
  11. Bake in the oven, uncovered, for 45 minutes (or more?), or until the internal temperature 145F (still slightly pink in the middle).
  12. Remove the chops from the skillet to rest and bring the sauce to a rapid simmer once again and cook until it has reduced to your desired consistency and the garlic is nice and soft and sweet.
  13. (Optional) Swirl in the remaining 1 tablespoon butter.
  14. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning.
  15. Arrange the pork chops on a platter, then pour over the whole skillet of sauce (including the garlic).

No comments:

Post a Comment