There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, May 21, 2018

Untested - Roasted Zucchini Soup with Fried Shallots

http://theunemployedcook.blogspot.ca/2006/07/roasted-zucchini-soup-with-fried.html

For the shallots:

3-4 shallots, peeled and sliced very thinly
peanut oil
  1. Heat about an inch of peanut oil over medium-high heat in a small, heavy pot. 
  2. Fry the shallots in batches, being careful to not overload the pot or they will stick, until a deep golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
For the soup:

4-5 medium zucchini, cubed
Olive oil (how much?)
light cream (how much?)
chicken stock (how much?)
sea salt
freshly ground pepper
olive oil
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. 
  2. Toss zucchini in a generous amount of olive oil, salt, and pepper. 
  3. Roast until caramelized on the edges and very soft--you want it softer than you would if eating it on its own.
  4. Dump the zucchini into a food processor and pulse a few times until pretty mushy. 
  5. Add stock and continue processing until as smooth and thin as you like. 
  6. Add some cream (you could use cream or even whole milk instead) in at the end and pulse again to combine. 
  7. Taste and adjust for seasoning--I like it simple, but you could add any number of spices at this point.
  8. Ladle into a shallow bowl and top with a generous amount of the fried shallots. 

No comments:

Post a Comment