There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, January 4, 2019

Stewed Parsnips and Apples - Test 1

https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/recipes/pork-chops-pan-seared-butter-parsnip-apple-pureehttp://pass-the-garum.blogspot.com/2013/06/parsnip-mash-and-salt-pork.html

1 - The original recipe is for mash, but I left it chunky. I don't know, I could try it mashed, but it looked pretty good as-is.

3 Tbsps butter 1 Tbsp lard
1 Onion sliced into rounds
10 oz Parsnips, peeled and chopped
1 lrg Apple, peeled cored and chopped
2 Garlic cloves, minced
1 tsps citrus zest
1/2 tsp Thyme
1/2 tsp Sage
1 cup Chicken stock
Salt and pepper

  1. Melt the lard over medium-high heat and add the onions. Cook until soft and caramelized, 12 minutes. 
  2. Add the parsnips, apples and garlic, and cook until golden brown, 8 minutes. 
  3. Stir in the citrus zest, thyme and sage, and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. 
  4. Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. 
  5. Cook until the vegetables are tender and the liquid has reduced slightly, 20 minutes. If the liquid evaporates too quickly, 
  6. Working in batches, transfer to a blender and purée until smooth. 
  7. Scrape back into the pan and season with salt and pepper. Keep warm until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment