There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, January 2, 2019

La Pescajoune Savoureuse au lardon - PUBLISHED

http://soda81.over-blog.com/article-les-pascades-une-recette-traditionnelle-44021866.html

The basic ingredients for the pascajoune in the flour, milk, eggs, salt and baking powder. The savory elements can be whatever seems a good combination. I chose to pre-cook most of the ingredients (obviously not the cheese).

1 - I made this as one giant pancake which worked quite well. It must be cooked on a low heat (it was on the wood stove so I'm not sure what the setting would be on a mechanical stove) so that the top can become firm enough to flip the thing.
2 - The batter is working out just fine, and I can mix-and-match the ingredients as long, I think, as the other constant is the onion. I made it again but will different filling - onion, garlic, potato, arugula, Gruyère. Delicious. And it's very good cold, like a crustless quiche (which of course it isn't and isn't Paleo because there's still flour and dairy in there).
3 - This continues to work for me, but I'm a little stymied on how to provide simple and clear instructions on the endless variations this recipe is capable of. Last time I made it I substituted the lardons with 8 oz of cooked ham leftovers.
4 - Made it again, and cooked it at very, very low temperatures, which took a long, long time (don't know how long) and it was a marked improvement on earlier versions. This version - bacon, spinach, chives, cheddar and gruyere.
5 - Made it once more and it was really very good. The difference is twofold - the caramelization of the onion and the quantity of cheese. More of both.

3/4 cups flour
2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp salt
6 eggs
3/4 cups milk
1/2 cup Parmesan (2 oz)
1 cup grated cheese of your choice (or more Parmesan) (4 oz)
3 slices bacon, cut into lardons
1 onion, sliced thin
  1. Mix together the flour, salt, baking powder and cheese. 
  2. In a large bowl whisk the eggs; add the flour mix and combine until there are no lumps.
  3. Once the egg and flour mix is smooth, drizzle in the milk and mix until perfectly smooth. 
  4. Let the batter sit for at least the time it takes for you to prepare and cook the rest of the ingredient.
  5. Heat an 8 to 10" pan and add the bacon and render until the lardons become golden. With a slotted spoon remove the lardons and stir into the egg mixture.
  6. Add the onion to the hot oil and slowly cook together until the onion becomes quite soft and brown. The browning is very important - the more caramelized, the better.
  7. Once cooked, with a slotted spoon remove the onion and stir into the egg mixture; mix to combine evenly. 
  8. Pour the batter into the oily pan (you can remove all but about 2 tsps of the oil if you want, or leave it all in). 
  9. Cook, covered, over incredibly low heat; it a dish susceptible to burning, so cook at as low a temperature as you can. Just as the top sets, the underside should be nicely browned. 
  10. Meanwhile, lightly grease a dinner plate for the next step.
  11. Once the top is firm, loosen the sides with a knife. Upturn the plate on top of the pancake, hold firm with your hand, grab the handle of the pan and flip the pancake onto the plate. Set the pan back on the stove-top and slide the pancake back into the pan to finish cooking, just enough to lightly brown the top.
  12. Once browned on both sides, flip back onto the plate and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment