There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, January 19, 2019

Test 2 - Lamb chops in red wine sauce

This is a bit unusual in my process, but I'm starting this recipe at the Testing 2 phase. I once mistakenly thawed lamb chops instead of pork chops to make this recipe, and decided to go with it. Given that the cooking time for lamb chops is so much shorter, and I was cooking on a wood stove top, I separated the recipes and created this one. Oh, and I really like cooking with wine. And there's always the option of adding more herbs!

2 Tbsp oil
2 + 1 Tbsps butter
1 kernel of popcorn (optional)
Salt and black pepper
4 bone-in lamb chops, 1" thick
6 cloves garlic, peeled
1 ½ cups red wine
1+1 bay leaf
½ cup beef broth, plus more if needed
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar

  1. (optional but a good idea) 30 minutes or several hours before, brine the pork chops in a water bath including a little less than 1 Tbsp of salt per cup of water, and a few bay leaves. 
  2. In a heavy skillet, heat the oil and 2 tablespoons of butter to sear the chops. To check that it's hot enough, throw in a popcorn kernel - when it pops, the oil will be at 325-50F and ready for a good, quick sear. 
  3. Salt and pepper both sides of the chops and sear, 3-4 minutes on each side. To sear properly, avoid crowding! Giving them room means they'll brown before they overcook. When one side is beautifully golden, flip and brown the other side. 
  4. Remove the chops from the skillet and set aside to make the braising sauce.
  5. Reduce the heat, drain off the rendered fat to leave about 2-3 Tbsps, and throw in the whole cloves of garlic in the hot oil and juices. Swirl them around and cook until they get nice and golden brown. 
  6. Deglaze with the red wine, then add the bay leaf. 
  7. Bring to a rapid simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is reduced and thick, and it leaves a clear line when you draw a wooden spoon along the bottom of the pan.
  8. Stir in the beef broth (you can add more if it needs the liquid) and put the chops back in, arranging them firmly in the sauce. 
  9. Add the balsamic and tilt the pan back-and-forth to help it distribute (this does not have to be thorough). Cook, uncovered, for another 3-4 minutes per side.
  10. Remove the chops from the skillet to rest and bring the sauce to a rapid simmer once again; cook until it has reduced to your desired consistency and the garlic is nice and soft and sweet.
  11. (Optional) Swirl in the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter.
  12. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning.

No comments:

Post a Comment