There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, December 30, 2018

Testing - La Pescajoune

https://www.vallee-dordogne.com/blog/recette-la-pescajoune-de-marielle
http://blog-domi.over-blog.fr/article-pour-ceux-qui-n-aiment-pas-trop-l-omelette-une-pasacade-recette-116685107.html
https://www.jours-de-marche.fr/specialites/pescajoune.html

This appears to be a versatile pancake-type recipe. Translated the site indicates that, sweet or savory, this was the dish made by the common folk of the Haut Quercy. In the evening, the elderly would slice in some lard in a pan to fry up the batter to make a complete meal with a salad of dandelion greens. But always made with lard.
As a dessert it was always seasonal fruits that were used, offering variety throughout the season.
The most delectable is cooked but the fire to lightly caramelize and absorb the smokiness of the hearth.
Best eaten while very hot!

1 - Tasty and fun to make. It really is its own thing; not a pancake, not a crêpe, not a cake, not an omelette, not egg foo young, but something all on its own. It does need baking powder or yeast - I'll try both. I made it in a cast-iron pan for which the dinner plates fit perfectly on top to flip the pescajoune onto. I greased the plate beforehand to make the flipping easier. It's essential that the pescajoune be cooked over low heat so that the top solidifies before the first flip, and that the bottom doesn't burn. I made this as two pancakes, but I think it would be fine as one giant pancake. It really does seem like such a flexible recipe that it can be done any number of ways.

3/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cups milk
6 eggs
A sprinkling of vanilla and liqueur of your choice
2 large apples or 3/4lb apple, cored, peeled and thinly sliced
2 Tbsps oil (preferably lard)

  1. Mix together the dry ingredients then the wet, up to the apples and only adding the apple once the batter is well mixed.
  2. Let the batter sit for a few minutes to thicken a bit.
  3. Heat the oil in a 8 to 10" pan.
  4. Pour in the batter - it should make a 1" thick pancake.
  5. Cook until the underside browns, then with the help of a plate flip it over onto the plate, and slide it back into the pan to finish cooking.
  6. Once browned on both sides, flip back onto the plate and serve immediately with either powdered sugar or maple syrup on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment