There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Rumbledethumps - PUBLISHED

https://foodanddrink.scotsman.com/food/5-incredible-scottish-recipes-for-vegetable-dishes/
https://www.thespruceeats.com/rumbledethumps-recipe-435824

1 - This turned out to be quite interesting. I make Skirlie as well and served them together. Honestly, the Rumpledethumps would be a bit bland on its own, but with the toasted Skirlie, it is quite good. I made it with kale.
2 - Another surprising delicious adventure. It was the right choice to add the Skirlie, it is essential to making this an excellent meal.
3 - I also usually double this recipe. Last time I increased the cabbage to good effect, the original being 8oz, increased it to 12, therefore to double the recipe it will be 24oz.
4 - The doubled amount works well. I didn't have rutabaga, but I did have kohlrabi, and it was quite good. I'm adding it as an option.

4-5 servings

500g 1 lb 2lbs potatoes, cooked and mashed
10 20 oz turnip or rutabaga or kohlrabi, cooked and mashed
2 1/2 5 oz 75g butter
8 oz 250g 24 oz cabbage or Kale, sliced very thin
1 tsp salt 
Pepper to taste
1 oz 25g 3 oz cheddar cheese
1 recipe of Skirlie

  1. Preheat the oven to around 180 C 350F 
  2. Combine the mashed potato and turnip in a large bowl. (If you have to boil the potato and turnip to make this, boil them together).
  3. Melt all the butter in a frying pan and braise the cabbage or kale until softened (do not brown). 
  4. Add the cooked veg to the potato mixture and combine thoroughly, adding in any remaining butter from the pan. 
  5. Put the mash in an oven-proof baking tray, cover with a lid or aluminum foil and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until heated through and bubbling. 
  6. While baking, make the Skirlie.
  7. Remove the lid, sprinkle the cheese on top and cook until golden brown, another 15 minutes.
  8. Serve with Skirlie on the side for each diner to sprinkle on top as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment