There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, December 29, 2018

Barley and Ham Potage - PUBLISHED

https://www.afamilyfeast.com/ham-vegetable-soup/

1 - I made a lot of alterations to use what I already have and make less soup! My version is first, then scroll down for the original. I will want to make it again with the parmesan rind, thyme, bay leaf and beans, as for the tomato, maybe try a little lemon rind or juice instead?
2 - This is turning into its own thing. I'm curious about the original recipe, but I'm also going to run with what I've cobbled together. The barley lends substance but also creaminess, eschewing the need for cream.
3 - I substituted arugula for kale and it was still good. I notice in the original recipe that there are bean... I think I'll try that next, maybe adding it as an optional ingredient.
4 - This holds up, but it is thick enough that I might want to call it a stew. Generally, the name sucks, so I'm open to something better. Ben felt that the bacon could be cooked more, but I used a last little bit of last year's bacon, which to me had an unpleasantly flavored rind, which I suspect is what he was reacting to. Nonetheless, the bacon could be more crisped because it shouldn't burn if the veg is added next, with all their moisture. Oh, and I suspect that I have doubled the cooking time - currently I have cooking time to 20 minutes covered, followed by 15 minutes uncovered.
5 - Used the lard and I used cabbage instead of the kale - our kale is done for the winter, and I didn't want to buy more given that I can use a head of cabbage for several dishes and a bunch of kale is probably good for one, maybe two. It was quite good - filling, rustic, flavorful.
6 - This seems to be on point except for salt and pepper. I also suspect it would be greatly improved with the addition of dry beans as a non-optional ingredient.
7 - This is proving to be a pretty solid recipe. I tried it with beans and it continues to be good. Adding the Parmesan really is better than in the original recipe where they add cream. Happy discovery, Permesan rind cooked in the soup seems to work just as well.

1/4 cup dried small beans
3 Tbsps lard OR 2 slices bacon en lardons + 1 tsp olive oil
1 large onion, sliced thin (10oz)
1 carrot, diced (2oz)
1 med potato, diced (215gr)
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups Chicken stock
2 sprigs thyme
4 leaves kale, ribs finely sliced and leaves cut into thin strips
OR
8 oz fine sliced cabbage
1 large tomato (7oz)
5oz  ham, diced
1/2 cup pearl barley
1 1/2 tsps salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2oz Parmesan cheese OR 1 small parmesan rind

  1. If using the optional beans, soak overnight and cook the next day until tender. Set aside.
  2. In a large Dutch oven or heavy bottomed soup pot, heat the lard over medium high heat (OR heat oil and add bacon; cook for 7-8 minutes until the bacon is nice and crispy).
  3. Add the onion, carrots and potato and cook until onion is well soft and starting to brown.
  4. Add the garlic and cook one minute.
  5. Add the stock, thyme, kale or cabbage, tomato, ham, beans (if using) and barley and, if using the Parmesan rind. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, until veg are tender (about 20 minutes).
  6. Taste to make sure the veg is cooked to your liking and, if using, stir in the cheese and remove from heat to serve.

ORIGINAL RECIPE, below
  Prep Time: 30 mins  Cook Time: 2 hours 45 mins  Total Time: 3 hours 15 minutes  Yield: 8-10

Ham Stock
4 pounds meaty ham bone
4 cups onion, large dice
4 cups celery, large dice
4 cups carrot, large dice
4 sprigs fresh parsley with stems
2 bay leaves
2 ½ quarts water
4 whole pepper corns
Soup
Ham stock from above, about 1½ – 2 quarts
1 quart vegetable stock
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 slices bacon, diced
1 ½ cups leeks, white only, cleaned of sand and diced
1 cup celery, small dice, about two large stalks
2½ cups carrots, one inch dice
2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
2 teaspoons dry thyme
3 bay leaves
1 Roma tomato, seeded and diced
8 ounces Parmesan cheese rinds, optional (we save them in the freezer for soups)
1 ½ pounds russet potatoes, peeled and diced into bite sized pieces
1 head Tuscan kale, cleaned from ribs and cut up
2 cups frozen kernel corn
1 15.5-ounce can small white beans, drained and rinsed
1½ pounds leftover ham from bone diced (or purchase a deli ham steak and dice)
1 cup light cream


  1. Start by making the stock. Add all stock ingredients to a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered for two hours. Strain stock and pick meat from bone. Discard the rest. This step can be done in advance and the stock frozen until needed. Cool and freeze in zip lock gallon bags.
  2. Mix ham stock with vegetable stock and heat. Taste and adjust seasoning, but salt only if needed.
  3. In a large Dutch oven or heavy bottomed soup pot, heat oil over medium high heat and add bacon. Cook for 7-8 minutes until just short of crispy.
  4. Add leeks, celery and carrots and cook for five minutes.
  5. Add garlic and cook one minute.
  6. Add stock, thyme, bay leaves, tomato and optional Parmesan rinds. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
  7. Simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes or until vegetables are just short of tender.
  8. Add potatoes and kale and bring back to a boil then simmer until tender, about five minutes.
  9. Add corn, beans and diced ham and simmer five minutes.
  10. Stir in cream and remove from heat.
  11. Pick out bay leaves and Parmesan rinds and discard. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment