There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, December 20, 2018

Test 2 - Groaty Dick Pudding

https://recipeland.com/recipe/v/groaty-dick-pudding-45107
https://justafewrecipes.wordpress.com/2017/11/05/groaty-pudding/
http://www.foodsofengland.co.uk/groatydick.htm
http://greatbritishpuddings.com/savoury-pudding-recipes/groaty-dick-pudding
https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/beef/groaty-pudding-groaty-dick.html

The variety and entertainment value of traditional recipe names continues to please. This is a good wood-stove recipe or, if you don't have one, slow-cooker.
NOTE: The quantity of meat-to-grain can vary - more grain-to-meat is perhaps more desirable if trying to decrease meat consumption.

1 - Success! Very simple, and pleasantly satisfying. I will make the veg mandatory, and I will standardize the cooking time and temperature.
2 - Again, very good. I made it only with onion, but the mix with the milder flavor of the leek would make it much, much better in my opinion. You really can't skip the vegetables though - it would be too stodgy otherwise. They lend a noticeable and pleasant sweetness to the dish.
3 - Again I only had onion. I wonder if, when leeks aren't available, halving the quantity of onion and replacing it with something else like the optional carrots and/or celery or even a strong herb like parsley would do the trick? The goal is to lighten the stodginess of the barley and beef.

1 lb stewing beef (traditionally shin of beef) (or more or less) (flank steak works well)
1 1/2lbs mixed leeks and onions chopped
1/2lb groats (oat or barley) (or more or less)
beef stock to cover (or water)
bay leaf
1 1/2 tsp Salt (be liberal - the grain will absorb and mute a lot of flavour)
Pepper
OPTIONAL
2 carrots, chopped
1 stick celery, chopped
1 tsp + fresh thyme, minced

  1. Put all of the ingredients (do not brown first) in an earthenware pot.  Layer the ingredients as given.
  2. Pour the stock over top and stir. Put lid on. Put in medium-low 350F oven for 3 to 16 hours, or in a slow cooker. 1 1/2 hours.
  3. Groats will absorb stocks and juices and expand. Check occasionally and top up the liquid from a recently-boiled kettle, if necessary. The finished dish should be a little soupy.

No comments:

Post a Comment