There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Testing - Potato Scones

https://foodanddrink.scotsman.com/food/5-incredible-scottish-recipes-for-vegetable-dishes/

1 - First test was very positive. I only skinned the potatoes after boiling as I usually do. And I didn't cut the rounds into quarters, which seems fine. Although I wonder if they would puff up more if they were cut like this? To try!

8 oz potatoes
2.5oz (a half cup?) flour
1oz butter
½ tsp salt
A pinch of pepper
¼ tsp baking powder

  1. Boil the potatoes in salted water until tender. 
  2. Drain the potatoes and mash them with the butter, salt, pepper and baking powder. 
  3. Mix in the flour to make a stiff dough. NOTE: not all potatoes are made equal so, the texture of the dough here is important - add flour if the dough is not stiff enough, about a Tbsp at a time) 
  4. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to around ¼" thickness. 
  5. Cut into rounds, using a saucer as a guide. 
  6. Prick all over with a fork and score the dough to mark 4 equal wedges. 
  7. Cook in a heavy pan or griddle which has been very lightly greased. 
  8. Cook each side for about three minutes on a medium heat or until the scones are golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment