There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Soparnikish (Croatian soparnik) - Test 1

https://www.amuse-your-bouche.com/croatian-soparnik-kale-pie/

1 - This is surprisingly good. All sorts of variations are possible, which I've added as Options in the recipe. I hope I'm able to remember the changes I made to the original recipe. I thought I would not be able to stuff in 1kg of kale, but I may start to try to increase until I know how much I can put in.
1.1 - Ok, I made it again. Kind of. But it doesn't count. I stopped reading the recipe after I rolled out the dough, and forgot to add to the greens the olive oil, the salt and the pepper. So everything that brings out flavour. In addition to this, I had the great idea of putting the top dough in a bowl to make it easier to stuff in the greens, but two things happened - I didn't oil the bowl so getting the dough out was a nightmare (although it actually worked) and I also seal the crust, trapping all the air in... Next time, I should try using a pie plate. I just can't see how to put in all those greens! I did it once, but I really don't know how I managed it. Anyway, I'll be doing it properly, again, soon!
2 - I added an instructional video that indicates you tear a hole in the pastry while baking, which may help with the whole puffed belly look I've been struggling with. I realize that the traditional method uses hot embers on top, which would also have weight to keep things down, so I could try putting a cookie sheet on top, maybe weighted? Oh, it was very good with fried onion and mushrooms added inside.
3 - I don't know if these is enough as a main dish. It's good, but just not very filling. 

For the dough:
300gr plus more for dusting
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt
Black pepper
warm water 2/3 cup 
For the filling:
1kg 500gr to 750gr greens (Swiss chard, kale, spinach, arugula or turnip greens, etc) THIS STILL MIGHT BE TOO MUCH, TRY JUST PUTTING A LAYER ON UNTIL IT LOOKS RIGHT AND THEN WEIGHING THAT
1 handful of chives or 1 small onion, finely chopped
4 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt
Black pepper
Topping:
Extra virgin olive oil 
3 cloves garlic minced
OPTIONS:
1 onion finely diced and caramelized
? cups crumbled feta
? gr mushrooms
? gr pine nuts
  1. Add the plain flour, olive oil and salt and pepper to a large mixing bowl. Gradually adding the water, knead the mixture with clean hands until it comes together into a dough. The dough should be moist but not sticky. Add or water if necessary to get the dough to hold together.
  2. Continue to knead for a few more minutes, until the dough is fairly elastic. Cover with a tea towel let rest for at least 1 hour.
  3. While the dough is resting, prepare the filling. Remove any tough stems from the leaves and finely chop them. 
  4. Add the chives and parsley and any of the optional ingredients, along with the olive oil and a touch more salt and pepper. Mix well, and set aside.
  5. When the dough has rested, transfer it to a lightly floured surface. Divide the mixture evenly in two, and roll the first section out very thin, of a size as wide as the baking tray. Keep sprinkling with flour if it starts to stick.
  6. Transfer the rolled-out dough to the baking sheet and, leaving about 1" around the edges uncovered, pile on the kale filling.
  7. Roll out the second piece of dough in the same way, and place it over the kale filling.
  8. Press the two layers of dough together over the filling to expel as much air as possible, brush water around the 1" lip to help with sealing, and tightly pinch the edges. 
  9. Mix together the garlic and olive oil, brush the top with the this mixture to evenly spread the garlic.
  10. Bake at 350°F for around 20 minutes, then with a skewer, tear a small hole somewhere along the edge to let the steam out. Continue to bake the soparnik until the surface is lightly browned.
  11. Cut with a pizza cutter, and serve warm, drizzled with extra virgin olive oil if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment