There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Jacques (apple spooncakes) - PUBLISHED

From the Perigord region of France.

Pg. 174-5 in Country Cooking of France by Elizabeth David

1 - Very nice, slightly custardy little cakes. I was frustrated that I couldn't get the second layer perfectly round, but Ben liked it. I used old apples that had started to wrinkle and dehydrate, which were perfect as they held their shape and absorbed the rum more readily. We ate them with maple syrup (of course...).
2 - Making the little pancakes was taking forever and Ben had a meeting, so after making a bunch for him and serving him, it was my turn. I decided to just make a big pancake. I've listed the changes in the recipe itself, because I think this is indeed the way to go. There is flavour missing, as well, to my taste. Ben quite liked the little pancakes as they were.
3 - So interesting! It's end of August and the transparent apples are nearing their end; whatever's left on the trees are already unpleasantly soft and only (or so I thought) good for apple sauce. I tried it in this, grated it like usual which made a grainy mush, but cooked, it imparted a nice apple flavour and the lemon juice provided a pleasant acidity.
4 - I'm not sure how to record this latest experience. I used different apples, probably a Spy type, and the skin was tough but there was a pleasant tang. The type of apple seems to have a big impact.
5 - Really quite nice. I did the full-on storing overnight and it definitely makes a difference. I don't know if it's a mild sourdough that takes, but the batter becomes creamy, the cakes puff up a bit more when they fry, and the inside is custardy gooey good. They're very good when you don't let the batter sit overnight, but they are much better if you do.

1 cup flour
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup water
1 Tbsp oil
a pinch salt
1 tsp sugar + more for sprinkling
2 eggs
2 or 3 small apples, preferably old and wrinkled, grated. If skin is tough, remove it.
Optional: rum or brandy
the juice from 1/2 lemon
Butter
  1. NOTE: This recipe should be started several hours before making, preferably left overnight. 
  2. Mix together the flour, milk, water, oil, salt, sugar, and eggs; stir the batter very well, then let it rest for several hours to overnight.
  3. Grate the apples and mix in the lemon juice (and/or booze). TIP: if it's a fresh apple, take fists-full of the grated flesh and squeeze out as much juice as possible. Lightly desiccated this way the apple will more easily soak up the lemon or booze, and won't make the pancakes soggy.
  4. Coat a thick bottomed pan with a pat of butter and heat up until the butter just starts to froth. Turn the heat down to medium low for a slow fry.
  5. Using a wooden mixing spoon, drop a spoonful of batter onto the hot pan, making room for more; you should be able to cook at least four little spooncakes at-a-time in the pan. They are done when both sides are nicely browned.
  6. Put more butter in the pan for every new batch of spooncakes.
  7. Serve immediately. Tasty with maple syrup and/or apple butter and yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment