There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Sausage, Kale and Barley Stew - Test 1

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jan/03/kale-recipes-crisps-stew-salad-10-best

0 - The original recipe called for the kale to be added along with the sausage. My experience with kale is that the longer it cooks, the better. At least, it's easier to cook the voluminous kale down to something that resembles its actual mass even if only to prevent it from overflowing the pot.
1 - April 1 2020 - The flavour is good and it's pretty easy to make, and Ben liked it just fine. For me, there was something missing in the experience. Maybe cutting up the sausages instead of crumbling them? Or not cutting up the kale quite so fine? I was saying how it felt like a side dish, but Ben suggested that maybe what it needs is a side dish of its own, but then, what? Whole or mashed potato? A salad? Just buttered bread? Rice? Pasta? I thought, in making it, that with the barley, it would provide all the starch we needed. Maybe I just need to eat it again as it may have just been I mood I was in, given that it was a feeling, not anything material!!!
Actually, in looking at the recipe, the sausage is actually left whole! Woops! Well, then, I'll give that a try, next time!
2 - Bread it is! It really is all it takes to finish the dish.

Serves 4
2+1 tbsp oil, for frying
8 1 lb sausages (trying Sweet Italian), whole!
2 red or white onions, sliced
2 parsnips or carrots, peeled and diced
10 oz cavolo nero or other kale, roughly chopped with stalks removed
1 cup pearl barley, rinsed with cold water
2 sprigs rosemary, minced
4 cups chicken or veg stock
1 tsp salt 
Black pepper, to taste
Fresh bread
  1. In a large pan fry the sausage in 2 Tbsps of oil in a large pan until nicely browned on all sides, for 10-12 minutes. Set aside.
  2. Add the rest of the oil to the pan. Gently fry the onion and carrot for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the kale and sauté until wilted and bright green.
  3. Add the barley, stir for a minute before adding the rosemary and stock. Season well with salt and black pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes, then return the sausages to the pan. Simmer for another 30 minutes or until the barley is cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment