There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, December 26, 2018

La Potée (vegetable bean soup) d'hiver - Test 1

Inspired by French Country Cooking, pg 40

In Elizabeth David's book, these are made with spring vegetables - all are baby veggies and fresh beans and peas. I'm trying to expand the availability of this soup. Given that peas can be available much sooner and much later than fresh beans, I'm also using dry beans for a fall/winter/early spring soup. The quantities are a little all over but there you have it, I'm trying things as I go along. Basically the proportions are established by mass - equal amounts of root veg, half as much in mass of dry beans etc.

0 - I've used a basic weight of 8oz of potato as my metric, and enough bacon for 2 people.
1 - A very nice vegetable soup and a valiant first attempt. I started with 8 oz of the root veg, which makes enough for 8 servings.
2 - This continues to be a good soup. Quite different for me since it has no browning of the veg, but it isn't missed in this instance. I went back to the Elizabeth Davis book because my instructions are a little vague. Now I can't remember why. Nevertheless, I graduated it from Testing to Test 1.

1lb (2 to 2.5 oz of bacon x person) cut into lardons
Half as much of the quantity of potato's mass of:
- 4oz  Small dry beans (or dry peas?)
? water 
Equal proportions in mass of:
- 8oz Potato
- 8oz Carrot
- 8oz Turnip or rutabaga
- 8oz Onion
- 8oz Peas
- 1/8 cabbage, sliced in thin, noodle-like strips
Salt and Pepper
  1. Soak the beans overnight. 
  2. Boil the lardons with the beans in ?L of water, until the beans are cooked.
  3. Add the root vegetables and simmer slowly until almost cooked. 
  4. Add the peas and the cabbage  and cook an additional 30 minutes.
  5. The root veg should be quite soft and starting to crumble when done.

No comments:

Post a Comment