There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, February 10, 2019

Braised leg of lamb - Testing

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/241514/slow-cooker-roasted-leg-of-lamb/
https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Braised-Leg-of-Lamb
https://thehealthyfoodie.com/braised-leg-of-lamb/
0 - In preparing the ingredients for my first attempt at this frankensteined recipe, I realized that I am limited by the size of my crock pot, which cannot accommodate the amount of vegetables I'd initially set my heart on. I've adjusted the quantity from 3 lbs potatoes, 6 large carrots and 1 large onion. I also made a slight change by laying the rosemary on the bottom, under the meat.
1 - The meat was very well cooked, tender and juice, but the vegetables were all undercooked, especially the carrots. I had to keep the meat warm and put the veg on the stove to cook. I wonder, should I have put them all on the bottom and the meat on top, instead of the veg all around?

1 boneless leg of lamb (3-4 lbs)
2 Tbsps lard (or other healthy cooking fat) (I used reserved fat rendered from cooking other lamb)
1 lb potatoes, cleaned and cut to size
4 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
3-4 carrots, in chunks
6 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 bay leaves
1 onion, cut into wedges
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup red wine
Minced flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  1. Bring leg of lamb to room temperature (about 2 hours).
  2. Melt the lard in a large heavy skillet set over high heat. Sprinkle the leg of lamb generously with salt and pepper and place it in the hot pan; brown well on all sides.
  3. Arrange potatoes, garlic, carrots, rosemary, bay leaves, and onions around lamb; pour in chicken stock and wine. Season wine mixture with salt and pepper.
  4. Cook on Low, without removing the cover, for 5 hours. An instant-read thermometer inserted near the bone should read 145 degrees F (65 degrees C). Let lamb rest for 15 to 20 minutes.
  5. Transfer lamb and vegetables to a large serving platter and sprinkle with minced parsley; serve pan juices on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment