There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, February 3, 2019

Chocolate Baked Oatmeal Custard - Testing

Adapted from the Orange and Cardamom baked oatmeal custard in The Scottish Oats Bible by Nichola Fletcher, p.71

1 - Alrighty, still in the testing phase - the oatmeal did not fully cook! I followed the instructions, but didn't listen to my intuition nor my experience. I've cooked pinhead or steel cut oats before, with success, but never spent a half hour stirring; I'd just leave it on low and let it cook on its own. Which I will try next time! I also used about 1/4 tsp of ground cardamom, and the flavour didn't come out.

1/4 cup pinhead oats
1 oz sugar
1 cup milk
4 cardamom pods
6oz chocolate or chocolate chips
1 egg
1/3 cup cream
1/3 cup milk
  1. Put the oats into a saucepan with the sugar and milk. Bring to a slow boil then turn down to a slow simmer, covered, and let cook for about  and stir over medium heat for 20-30 minutes to make a soft porridge. While the oats are cooking, husk and grind the cardamom and add them.
  2. Once the oatmeal is cooked, turn off the heat and stir in the grated chocolate until well blended. Set aside and allow it to cool.
  3. While the oatmeal cools, pre-heat the oven to 275F.
  4. In a large bowl beat the egg then whisk in the cream and milk.
  5. Once the oatmeal has cooled enough, mix it in to the egg mixture, thoroughly.
  6. Turn into a shallow dish and bake until set, for about 40-45 minutes, depending on depth.
  7. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment