There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Pork Steak Braised with Cabbage - Test 1


1 - The flavors are nice, although I could add some fresh thyme with no ill effect. The cooking time was fine, but it could stay in for another hour to get the meat really tender. The other option is to figure out how to make it in the slow cooker. It remains in the Testing phase.
2 - Originally, the recipe asked for 325F. I wanted to bake a cake at the same time, so I had the oven at 350F. What happened was that the steaks browned nicely on top, and the apple and cabbage got nice and soft and browned. I can't remember if I reduced the temperature for the second half, but it is what I'm proposing. Not a slow cooker meal, since I wouldn't get the nice browning effect from being in a roasting pan.
3 - The steaks were nicely browned but this time round the cabbage and apple weren't all soft and sweet. I mean, they were cooked and still had bite, but I don't think that was a plus. Changing the recipe again to cover and cook the whole time at 350F

2lbs Pork steaks
1/2 tsp EACH ground sage and thyme leaves
salt and pepper to taste
1 popcorn kernel
1 Tbsp oil
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
8oz apple, cut into small cubes
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsps brown sugar
8oz chopped green cabbage
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F. 
  2. Season the pork with salt and pepper, sage and thyme. 
  3. Heat the oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat and set the popcorn kernel in the middle of the pan. When it pops, remove it and put in the pork steaks to sear. Brown the pork on both sides (3 minutes each side should do) and then put in a roasting pan. 
  4. Pour in the stock, cover and bake for 75 minutes.
  5. Meanwhile, combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl. 
  6. When the time is up, remove the meat from the pan and set aside. 
  7. Spread the cabbage mixture in the pan and nestle the pork on top. 
  8. Cover and bake another 35 to 40 minutes more, or until the cabbage is tender (internal temperature reaches at least 135F).
  9. Remove from heat and let rest, covered, for about 10 minutes. This last step is important - the meat will continue to cook as it cools, the juices spreading evenly throughout but, more importantly, the temperature will continue to rise until it reaches about 145F, the recommended temperature for safe eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment