There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, March 29, 2021

Beef Stock - Untested


3-4 lbs beef trimmings, cut into small chunks
1 onion thickly sliced
1/2 cup red wine
10 cup water
2 carrots
1 rib celery
2 clove garlic
2 bay leaf
5 peppercorns
3 whole cloves
sprig fresh rosemary
sprig fresh thyme
1 tsp salt. 
  1. Roast the scraps in a 400F oven until nice and brown. This could take up to an hour.
  2. Bring the water and wine to a gentle boil and add the roasted scraps, the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, herbs and salt.
  3. Bring back to a boil, the turn down and simmer for 3-4 hours. If you want to broth to be clear, remove any foam that develops on the surface. This foam is just denatured protein a bit like egg white. If you don't remove it, it will eventually break back down into the liquid and will make it cloudy. 
  4. Allow to cool, then refrigerate to remove the layer of fat floating on top (which can be used for cooking).
  5. Strain to remove the scraps, vegetables and herbs, then return the liquor to a simmer and reduce as you see fit (could I do this in a slow cooker?)

No comments:

Post a Comment