There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, March 4, 2021

Plain Old Vanilla Cake - Testing


1 - It turned out quite well. The icing I used is a new whipped cream icing recipe, which was perfect. The sponge itself was perhaps a bit tough, so next time I may see if I can be more gentle after the flour has been mixed in. It may also be that all purpose flour has too much protein. All in all, everyone seemed to like it.
2 - I reduced the quantity of sugar to 300g, and it worked out just fine! I will try to reduce again by 100g next time. I also tried a new recipe for a yogurt-based icing (well, it's sugar based of course because that's the majority of the ingredients) which was reminiscent of a cream cheese icing, but lighter.

6 Tbsps butter, room temperature (85g)
? cup sugar (300g) (try 200g)
⅔ cup mild vegetable oil (160ml)
1 cup milk, room temperature (235ml)
2 tsps vanilla extract
2 ⅔ cup + 2 Tbsps flour (345g) 
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
6 large egg whites, room temperature
  1. Set oven to 350°F. (TRY 325)
  2. Generously grease two 8 inch cake rounds. The batter does tend to stick, so you may elect to cut out some parchment paper circles to lay at the bottom of your pan (grease the pan first, lay the parchment paper over the surface and press to make it stick - this will prevent batter from leaking under the parchment paper.).
  3. Beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy. 
  4. Beat in the oil, milk and vanilla.
  5. Combine in a separate bowl the flour, baking powder and salt. 
  6. Put the dry stuff in the bowl with the butter mixture. With a wooden spoon, gently combine just until everything is evenly distributed.
  7. Whisk egg whites into stiff peaks. 
  8. Using a spatula, take a bit of the egg white and mix into the butter/flour/sugar mixture. 
  9. Take this mixture and add it to the egg white bowl and gently fold the egg whites into the batter. Take care to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl so that ingredients are well-combined, and take care not to over-mix to preserve the air bubbles in the egg whites.
  10. Pour into the prepared baking pan.
  11. Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes or until cake tests done.

No comments:

Post a Comment