There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Blackberry Almond Buckle - Testing


1 - Very nice! Best when completely cooled. The blackberry can be pushed all the way to the edge - the batter thickens and pushes the fruit towards the center as it cooks, I think. I also want to try using brown sugar for the streusel instead of white. My other recipes using streusel ask for more butter, so I'll try  that, too. Also, I didn't have crème fraîche, and used greek yoghurt instead, and it worked a treat.
OR, would it be better to use the streusel recipe for the Blackberry Crumble? I could substitute the same amount of almond flour for the white flour.

Streusel
½ cup (104g) brown sugar
½ cup  flour, spooned and leveled
½ cup (42g) almond meal
½ tsp. salt
4 Tbsp. (1/2 stick) ½ cup (4oz/114gr) butter, cut up
Cake
½ cup (4oz/114gr) butter, at room temperature, plus more for pan
1 cup (4¼oz/120g) flour, spooned and leveled
¾ cup (63g) almond meal
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. baking soda
1 cup (200g) sugar
2 large eggs
½ cup crème fraîche or Greek yogurt
10 oz. (about 2½ c.) fresh or frozen blackberries 
  1. For the streusel: Preheat oven to 350°F. Whisk together sugar, flour, almond meal, and salt in a bowl. Work in butter until mixture is crumbly. Refrigerate until ready to use.
  2. For the cake: Butter a 9 by 2-inch deep cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
  3. Whisk together flour, almond meal, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a bowl. Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating to incorporate after each addition and scraping down sides of bowl as necessary. Reduce mixer speed to low and beat in flour mixture and crème fraîche alternately, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, just until flour is incorporated.
  4. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Top with blackberries followed by the streusel. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 60 to 70 minutes. Let cool slightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment