There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, May 9, 2021

Custard Pie - PUBLISHED

I've taken my Mexican Hot Chocolate Pie and I'm trying to make it into a plain custard pie. All the recipes I've found call for high heat and whole eggs. I tried one, and it turned into a rubbery mess. So, I've decided to build on success.
1 - If it was up to Ben this would go directly into La Mouffette Gourmande. As it is, it was a resounding success with both Ben and Paz. I would like to try reducing the sugar to 1/4 cup, but according to Ben, the sweetness diminishes when the pie has had a chance to sit until the next day.
2 - I made this for a potluck, always a good testing ground. I got vociferous acclaim and requests for the recipe! This may be a good sign...
3 - This time around I think I was a little impatient. A film developed on top, and I suspect I didn't take the time to properly incorporate the butter in the hot dairy. The key word is SLOW for this one. It remains at Test 2.

1 recipe blind-baked Cookie Pie Crust
67 gr butter
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/3 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
1 egg
  1. Heat the oven to 325F.
  2. Bring the cream and milk to a very slow boil in a saucepan.
  3. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla and the nutmeg. Cut the butter into small chunks and slowly whisk them into the hot dairy until it all dissolves.
  4. In a bowl, whisk together the yolk and sugar until the yolk turns a pale yellow. Whisk in the extra whole egg.
  5. Very slowly whisk the flavored milk and cream into the egg mixture. Do this slowly; this is to gradually increase the temperature of the egg and avoid making scrambled eggs with the hot liquid.
  6. Strain the mixture into the baked tart shell.
  7. Bake about 35 - 40 minutes or until set. The pie will puff up a bit when it is cooked, and will settle again as it cools.
  8. Let it cool completely, which can take a few hours.
  9. Delicious accompanied by a fresh sprig of currants or other tart fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment