There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, May 24, 2021

Fried Spaghetti Pancake - PUBLISHED

 http://abeachhomecompanion.blogspot.com/2012/02/spaghetti-pancake-its-better-than-it.html

1 - I made this using leftover Fried Egg Pesto Pasta and it was very good. A fresh, crunchy side would go well with it. It may well replace the Pasta Frittata for using up leftovers. I'm looking forward to seeing what other pasta leftovers would work. I'm assuming saucy leftovers wouldn't work but then again, with the added egg...

2 - Still a winner. I made it in my cast-iron pan and while it made a good pancake, it was too wide to have a nice molded edge. It's fine like this, but a small pan would provide that edge. Made again with Fried Egg Pesto Pasta leftovers.

3 - Did it in the cast-iron pan again and, you know, it's works just fine. I suspect this may not work so well with very saucy recipes.

8 oz dried pasta OR 16 oz of leftover pasta dish
2 whole eggs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp? salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 Tbsp + 1Tbsp butter
OPTIONAL - 1 teaspoon minced garlic

  1. If using leftover pasta, skip this step. If starting from scratch, cook the pasta and drain well, letting cool a bit.
  2. Meanwhile, mix the eggs, Parmesan, salt, and pepper (and optional garlic) in a large bowl. It should be the consistency of a loose paste. 
  3. Add the cool/cold pasta to the egg mixture and toss well. 
  4. Heat a 6" (preferred but not essential) frying pan over medium low heat with one tablespoon of butter. When it's sizzling, about 5 minutes, add the pasta mix. Let it cook for about 5-7 minutes until a nice brown crust has formed.
  5. Meanwhile, lightly grease a dinner plate for the next step.
  6. When the bottom of the pancake is brown, make sure it's loose from the pan. Upturn the plate on top of the pancake, hold firm with your hand, grab the handle of the pan and flip the pancake onto the plate, removing the pan. Set the pan back on the stove-top, add the remaining Tbsp of butter and slide the pancake back into the pan. Cook the second side for about 3-4 minutes to get another nice brown crust. 
  7. Once browned on both sides, flip back onto the plate and serve immediately.
  8. And you're done. 
  9. This should make a dinner for two people, or side dish portions for four.

        No comments:

        Post a Comment