There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, May 22, 2021

Jhal Farazi - Testing


1 - In my first attempt I made half the recipe since it asked for a half kilo of beef, which would have ruined my plans to make Frugal Pie the following night. Ben was very enthusiastic about it - he does love his spice blends. I liked it, with a few reservations. I suspect I  may want to start making my own garam masala. The version I currently have, store bought in those little jars... McCormick's? No. Anyway, it has too much cardamom. Oh, and it's pretty dry, so definitely it needs condiments like yogurt, raita and/or chutney.
2 - It was very good, again, but it seems to need a little punch of salt to make the flavors pop. This may depend on the kind of roast beef it's paired with, so I'll just add 'salt, to taste'.

500gr roast beef, very thinly sliced
375gr (about 3) potato cooled and sliced
2 onions, very thinly sliced
3 Tbsp oil
2 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 tsp ginger grated
2 tsps ground turmeric
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp chilli powder (or to taste)
4 Tbsps water
1/2 lemon juiced
Salt, to taste
1/4 cup fresh mint
Yogurt or raita
Fruit chutney
  1. Heat oil in a wok or large frying pan and fry the onions on medium heat, stirring constantly until golden.
  2. Lower heat, add garlic and ginger and fry for a minute, then add ground spices and salt.
  3. Stir, then add meat and toss well in the spices. Add potatoes and toss.
  4. Sprinkle with stock or water and cover and cook on low heat until heated through.
  5. Finally sprinkle with lemon juice and mix through, garnished with the mint. 
  6. Best served with a dollop of mango chutney and some spiced yoghurt or raita.
  7. Serve with rice and other Indian dishes - mix and matching is fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment