There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Osso Buco - Testing


1 - I did not cook these long enough, the meat was not falling off the bone, and without that, the meat is very difficult to get at. The flavor of the stew was good, but otherwise the results are so far inconclusive.

2-3lbs cross-cut beef shanks 
2 generous Tbsps flour
2 tsps olive oil
1 kernel popcorn
Salt and pepper
1 medium onion (160g)
1 small pinch celery seed
2 medium carrots (120g)
a few sprigs of fresh thyme
a few sprigs of fresh rosemary
2 bay leaves
2 garlic cloves
400 g of diced tomatoes
3/4 cups porter or red wine
2 cups beef stock
Worcestershire sauce
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
  2. Dust the meat with the flour. 
  3. Heat the oil in a stockpot over medium heat until the popcorn pops. 
  4. Brown the beef on all sides in batches to achieve a good browning; remove from the pot and set aside.
  5. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
  6. Add onion, carrot and celery to stockpot, cook until vegetables are crisp-tender. 
  7. Add wine; cook until browned bits attached to stockpot are dissolved. Cook an additional 5 to 8 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally. 
  8. Stir in tomatoes and stock.
  9. Return beef to stockpot and bring to a boil. 
  10. Cover tightly and cook in the hot oven for a.5 to 2 hours or until the beef is fork-tender.
  11. Once cooked, remove the beef, skim fat from the cooking liquid and reduce the liquid to 2 cups. Season with salt, as desired. Return beef to cooking liquid. 
  12. Serve with herbed grits or mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment