There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, July 2, 2022

Pork belly with lemon pasta and broadbeans - Untested

Sometimes I right away see which changes I want to make. I'd like the pork belly to accompany, not be the main theme, and I want noodles instead of rice. Let's make this magic happen!

Rock salt, to rub
2kg pork belly (ask butcher to score skin)
2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 cup dry sherry
1 Tbsp fresh thyme, minced
12 oz dry spaghetti
200g fresh or frozen broadbeans
Juice of 2 lemons
2 bunches green onions, thinly sliced
1 bunch coriander (or parsley?), leaves chopped
  1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
  2. Rub in garlic and cumin into the skin of the pork. 
  3. Measure out ½ cup good olive oil. From this, take 2 Tbsps of oil and put it into a roasting pan (an over-ready fry pan works well). Add the pork, skin-side up and roast for 30 minutes. 
  4. Reduce the heat to 300°F and cook for 2½ hours. At the end of this time, place under the grill if the crackling is not crisp. 
  5. Meanwhile, remove the broadbeans from their pods and make a small slit on each bean.
  6. Fill a saucepan with boiling water. Add in a good pinch of salt and stir to dilute.
  7. Soak the beans in this hot salty water for about 10 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water and then they easily peel out of their shells. Set aside.
  8. Once the pork has baked, rest it on a wire rack to drain. 
  9. In the roasting pan, leave all but 2 Tbsps of fat. Place over medium-low heat and stir in the sherry and the thyme and cook for a few minutes, scraping up any browned bits. 
  10. Once you can handle it, cut the pork into cubes.
  11. Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti, drain and toss it with a little of the reserved oil, just to coat. 
  12. To cook the broadbeans, bring a pot of salted water to a roiling boil. Toss in the broadbeans. When water returns to a boil, the beans should be cooked; drain and rinse them.
  13. On a large serving platter start with a base layer of spaghetti. Arrange the broadbeans on top of this. Drizzle the , remaining oil, juice, green onion and coriander. Transfer to a serving plate and garnish with pork.

No comments:

Post a Comment