There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, August 7, 2022

Mushroom Taragon Omelette - Test 1


1 - Very tasty if perhaps a bit salty. And I may prefer the longer cooked thick sliced mushrooms, which I will try next time.
2 - The reduced salt is right, and could potentially be reduced some more. Thick sliced over thin sliced is definitely the way to go. I'm graduating it to the testing phase.
3 - It was very good, again, but there was too much stuffing. I'm going to change the quantity to recommend a range by preference, of 8oz to 12oz. Currently at 12oz only.

The filling
1 Tbsp (½ oz/14gr) vegetable oil
1 Tbsp (½ oz/14gr) butter + more as needed
8oz to 12oz cremini or white button mushrooms, sliced thick (4 to 6 slices per mushroom depending on size)
2 clove garlic, minced
½ tsp salt
¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
¼ tsp ground black pepper

The omelet
6 to 7 eggs
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
1 Tbsp chopped fresh tarragon 
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp butter
½ cup (2.1 oz/60gr) grated Fontina or Gruyère
  1. For the filling, heat the oil and butter until the butter starts to froth. Sauté the mushrooms in the oil and butter until mushrooms are tender and browned so they have a bit of a crust of browning on them, about 10 minutes.
  2. Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. This is just to cook away that sharp raw garlic flavor.
  3. Remove from heat, stir in the salt, pepper and parsley.
  4. For the omelet, 
  5. Thoroughly heat a 10" oven-proof fry pan or omelet pan over medium-low heat (if stainless steel, for about 4 to 5 minutes dry).
  6. Meanwhile, combine the eggs, salt and pepper and whisk until frothy.
  7. Stir in the tarragon.
  8. To the hot pan add first the oil, swirl around the pan to cover, then add the butter.
  9. Pour the eggs into the hot pan; you may want to increase the heat to medium. As the egg cooks, lift the edges and tilt the pan to let the uncooked egg get underneath.
  10. With the oven rack in the middle, turn on the broiler to heat up (or use a salamander if you're so lucky to have one).
  11. When the egg has half cooked, spread the mushroom mixture evenly over it. 
  12. While the egg is still a little under-cooked on the surface, (not just slithery but actually jiggly), spread the cheese and slip the pan into the oven to broil
  13. When the egg is set and the edges puff up a little, take it out of the oven and carefully fold the omelette, plate and serve as you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment