There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, September 4, 2022

Lentil Something - Testing

1 - I have no idea with this is or where it comes from. I assume it's a soup. But maybe not since the last step suggests draining the extra water.
2 - I think this makes a good side, for a Table d'hote, and it is a bit too salty, so I'm going to reduce 1 Tbsp. of salt to 2 1/2 tsp.

3 Tbsps. olive or vegetable oil
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
6 cups water (broth?)
2¼ cups French lentils
1 tsp. dried or 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme
3 bay leaves
2½ tsps. salt
2+ Tbsps. red wine vinegar
  1. Place a large saucepan over medium heat and add oil. When hot, add chopped vegetables and sauté until softened, 5 to 10 minutes.
  2. Add 6 cups water, lentils, thyme, bay leaves and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a fast simmer.
  3. Simmer lentils until they are tender and have absorbed most of the water, 20 to 25 minutes. If necessary, drain any excess water after lentils have cooked. 
  4. Stir in the red wine vinegar and adjust to taste.
  5. Serve immediately, or allow them to cool and reheat later.

No comments:

Post a Comment