There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, September 16, 2022

Water cake - Testing


1 - I did not take notes, but I remember it being good. I needs a coulis I feel, or syrup or something moist. But I can't quite remember so I'm leaving it for now.
2 - It's a good white cake and surprising. I am curious about trying either potato flour or oat flour because I find the crumb a bit tough with only the all-purpose. I could try getting soft wheat flour for cake.
3 - I tested with half oat flour and the consensus was that it had a better texture. I will also try with the potato flour, next time. I also topped the cake with a Rhubarb Coulis which was a good match, but also discovered that plain yogurt is also good with it, but perhaps mixed with a bit of sugar.
4 - Made it with oat flour again and really, it's fine. It's more to have something for people on a vegan diet, but I don't think I'd make it just for myself. The oats I think increase the moistness, and I still wonder what it would be like with potato flour.

2 cups all purpose flour (try half potato flour, half oat flour)
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable, canola or olive oil
2 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp lemon zest optional
OPTIONAL: top with Rhubarb Coulis or plain yogurt mixed with sweetener like sugar or syrup. Hmmm, I wonder about yogurt with a sprinkle of crystalized sugar on top, for the look as well.
 
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease the interior of an 8 inch round springform cake pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper.
  2. In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder, sugar. Whisk vigorously with a whisk until evenly combined.
  3. Add water, oil, vanilla and lemon zest (is using). Whisk until batter is smooth and no lumps remain.
  4. Pour cake batter into the prepared cake pan. Bake for about 40-45 minutes or until the surface of the cake is a light golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cake cool before slicing and serving. You can dust cake with powdered sugar if desired.
NOTES
Recipe slightly adapted from Manu's Menu
You can make this in an 8 inch or a 9 inch cake pan. Do not use a pan smaller than 8 inches because the cake will be too thick. If you are using a 9 inch pan, your cake will be much thinner and will likely require less baking time.

The is a very simple basic cake recipe and won't have much flavor on its own. The lemon zest does help add flavor. You can also add cinnamon for a cinnamon version, espresso powder for a coffee version or orange zest instead of lemon zest.

No comments:

Post a Comment