There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, September 4, 2022

Lentil Basil Stew - Testing


1 - I really want to get rid of the silly BASIL IS THE BOMB SAUCE name. Don't care for it. But the recipe is pretty good. While I found the broth too thin, I also used yogurt instead of having creme fraiche to try with it. Until I have that missing ingredient, it will stay in the Testing phase.
2 - Where did all that liquid come from? I mean, in the first version I said I thought the sauce was thin but that's just ridiculous, it was like a soup! The basil sauce is really what makes it stand out, but I don't think it needs to be kept separate. I think it could just be mixed in at the end and then served with sour cream, creme fraiche or yogurt.

Basil sauce:
½ cup 120ml extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups 50g loosely packed basil leaves
¼ cup 20g finely chopped green onion (white and green parts)
1½ Tbsps fresh lemon juice
2 tsps minced garlic about 2 cloves
¼ tsp apple cider vinegar
¼ tsp salt plus more to taste
Optional 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes, plus more to taste

Lentil Stew
2 Tbsps.' grapeseed oil or olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup (170g) onion, diced
1 cup (132g) celery, diced
1 cup (160g) carrot, diced
1 tsp salt, to taste
2 cups (370g) dry green lentils
1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme plus more to taste
½ tsp ground black pepper
8 ? cups vegetable broth
Fresh lemon juice
1 cup (240ml) Basil-Is-the-Bomb Sauce with the red pepper flakes booster
Pea sprouts
Sour cream or Crème fraîche
  1. To prepare the basil-is-the-bomb sauce, throw everything into your blender, including any boosters, and blast on high for 30 to 60 seconds, until smooth and emulsified. Tweak the salt and pepper flakes to taste. This is best served immediately, but will keep, sealed and chilled, for about 5 days. Makes 1 cup.
  2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat and sauté the garlic, onion, celery, carrot, and ½ teaspoon of the salt for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables soften slightly. 
  3. Stir in the lentils, thyme, pepper, and broth. Increase the heat to medium-high, bring the mixture to a lively simmer (not a full boil), and cook for about 5 minutes. 
  4. Lower the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the lentils and vegetables are tender but not mushy. Add salt to taste.
  5. Ladle the soup into bowls and add about ¼ teaspoon lemon juice to each serving. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the Basil-Is-the-Bomb sauce over the top of each bowl and serve with a dollop of sour cream, and some of the pea sprouts. Pass the remaining Basil-Is-the-Bomb sauce and more lemon juice at the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment